The Position: People and Culture Director
Your job is to take our People and Culture game to the next level by applying your knowledge and skills to support an urgent cause. This is a new position for the organization, which has previously combined human resources within the Finance and Operations area.
Your main mission will be to provide consistent, high-quality leadership of a People and Culture team, working shoulder-to-shoulder with your colleagues to cultivate an organizational culture that aligns with the values of the work we do in the Western Amazon. You’ll build strong relationships within the AF team and be a key resource on personnel matters, providing consistent, high-quality HR leadership to the organization. You’ll thrive on recruiting and retaining top notch staff, developing growth and training opportunities, and relish the chance to build a high caliber People and Culture program in a dynamic, multinational setting.
This is a chance to be at the center of a dynamic, passionate and international network of people who are deeply invested in the fight to protect the Amazon, Indigenous cultures, and our global climate. You should be committed to supporting a successful grassroots movement based on hard work, humility, mutual respect and honest partnership. The job is a great fit for someone looking to apply their significant HR expertise to a growing NGO as we complete the transition from a start-up into the robust and sustainable organization we are becoming.
This full-time position will be based in Ecuador. Regular travel within Ecuador will be required, including to our headquarters in Lago Agrio. Our staff has been spread across various locations since the beginning of the pandemic, and you will play a role in determining what remote work looks like going forward.
The Ideal Candidate
You’ll have an exceptionally strong background in human resources, honed in an NGO or other professional setting, with experience leading HR operations. You’ll be organized, diplomatic, and a dependable resource within our team. You’ll be bilingual (Spanish/English), and be familiar with employment law compliance in a Latin American context (preferably in Ecuador). AF is a US-based organization, with compliance obligations under California law, so familiarity with US employment practices would be beneficial, but not required.
- Leadership. As an organizational leader, you’ll manage your own team and budget and serve in a senior organizational leadership role, building a culture of support, professionalism and communication within the organization.
- Hiring. You’ll oversee AF’s hiring systems and provide coaching and support to managers to make the most of each new hire opportunity. Your team will support drafting and posting openings, screening applicants, and interviewing candidates. You’ll also work with DFO/ED to build personnel budgets based on anticipated staffing.
- Integrate new staff. You’ll provide key HR leadership to managers to ensure new staff are welcomed, given proper training, and supported as they learn the ropes. Your ingenuity and creativity in this area will make a significant impact.
- Personnel Policies. As a growing organization working in multiple jurisdictions, it’s time for a thorough review of our personnel policies. Working closely with our DFO, you’ll develop policies and facilitate opportunities for feedback and consultation. You’ll also support AF’s anticipated registration within Ecuador, which may bring significant changes to AF’s relationships with our Ecuador-based staff.
- Training and Professional Development. You’ll lead the way in building a culture of learning and growth by establishing a robust and culturally-appropriate training and professional development program. You’ll also advise staff and managers, and provide guidance on HR matters, seeking outcomes that reflect organizational values.
- Safety. Drawing on the expertise of AF’s Security Committee and others, you’ll support drafting of safety and security policies and lead on development of an effective safety and security training program. You may also serve as an emergency contact.
- HR Data and Systems. You’ll administer AF’s HR platforms (Gusto and Bamboo) and work with key staff to maintain accuracy of HR data.
- Compensation and Benefits. With DFO, manage portfolio of benefits offered to staff and maintain compensation framework and associated compensation practices.
- This position will require significant HR chops. You should have at least 2 years of professional experience leading HR operations and a robust understanding of HR functions, as well as an understanding of labor laws and HR best practices.
- Your team will rely on you for honest and reliable written and in person communication.
- This role involves working closely with an incredibly diverse group. You’ll need to bring awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from varying cultures and backgrounds into your work.
- People will depend on the work that you’ll accomplish in this role, so you’ll need to stay organized, prioritize, plan, and solve problems as you go. We’ll be looking for a track record of follow through and effective management in a professional setting.
- AF is a multilingual team. To be effective in your role, you’ll need to be bilingual in both English and Spanish and able to communicate at a high level in both. You may also be asked to translate documents or assist with translation in small, non-public meetings.
- This role will require some travel. Opportunities will also be provided for you to travel into the rainforest to get to know partner communities, which is strongly encouraged. There will also be times you’ll need to work outside normal business hours.
How to Apply:
Please send a one-page cover letter describing how your experience and skills apply to this role, along with a resume here>>
Amazon Frontlines offers equal opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination based on race, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, or any other legally protected status or classification.