Amazon Frontlines and the Ceibo Alliance have worked hand-in-hand to create a model of indigenous resistance and international solidarity rooted in the defense of indigenous territory, cultural survival, and the building of viable solutions-based alternatives to rainforest destruction.
In 2015, Amazon Frontlines, then known as ClearWater, supported the formation of the Ceibo Alliance, an indigenous-led Ecuadorian non-profit organization comprised of members of the Kofan, Siona, Secoya and Waorani peoples.
The Ceibo Alliance is in an ideal position to address their needs through projects designed, developed and managed by the indigenous communities themselves.
Ceibo is the first alliance of its kind in the region Formed by members of the very communities it serves.
- Amazon Frontlines and the Ceibo Alliance work towards shared goals, objectives, and methodologies through collaborative work in all program activities.
- This collaborative work model is carried out in a shared office and living space in Lago Agrio, an oil town close to many of the indigenous communities we work with.
- The Ceibo Alliance designs, develops and implements all program activities based on input and guidance from their indigenous communities and nationalities.
- Amazon Frontlines staff accompanies those program activities with on-the-ground technical and operational support.
- Amazon Frontlines helps Ceibo connect with allies and donors at the national and international level, along with providing direct financial support to Ceibo through our fundraising efforts.
- Amazon Frontlines helps to amplify the voice of the Ceibo Alliance through our online awareness raising campaign.
- In partnering with the Ceibo Alliance, we at Amazon Frontlines believe we are supporting the most sustainable model for indigenous autonomy, cultural revival and rainforest protection in the Amazon.
the ceibo alliance team
Ceibo Alliance staff work full-time galvanizing projects that employ hundreds of local community members among the four indigenous nationalities.